7 Ways to Get Backspin on Your Chip Shots
To hit chip shots with lots of backspin, you need to set up like below.
1. Use softer ball. This is necessary to get lots of backspin
2. Use more lofted club. More loft means more spin. For chip shots, you might want to use your sand wedge.
3. Position your ball off your right foot
4. Put more weight on your left foot
5. Position your hands ahead of the ball so that the shaft is leaning slightly toward the target
6. Accelerate through impact
7. Hit it on the descending blow
One of the most famous teachers in the history of golf, Harvey Penick said you need to position your hands forward so that the bounce of your sand wedge will not touch the ground.
Also, at impact, your hands should be ahead of your clubhead or the ball. You don't need to turn the face over for this shot. Make sure your hands win the race.
For crisp shot with backspin, you must accelerate your clubhead through impact.
- Fat Shots
- Fairway Woods
- Long Iron
- Short Iron
- Pull / Push
- Shots from Rough
- Fairway Bunker